Spring is the perfect time to enjoy fresh, seasonal vegetables, and this Spring Vegetable Risotto recipe is an excellent way to do just that. Risotto is a classic Italian dish that is known for its creamy, decadent texture and the ability to showcase a wide range of flavors. This recipe features fresh asparagus, peas, and mushrooms that are sautéed until tender and then combined with creamy arborio rice to create a dish that is both comforting and light. This dish is perfect for a springtime dinner with family or friends, and it’s sure to become a favorite in your recipe rotation.
Important things to note while making spring vegetable risotto recipe:
- Use Arborio rice – this short-grain rice is essential to achieve the classic creamy texture of risotto.
- Constant stirring is key – to achieve the perfect consistency, you’ll need to continuously stir the rice as you add in the liquid.
- Don’t overcook the vegetables – they should be tender but still have a bit of crunch to them to provide texture to the dish.
- Use freshly grated parmesan cheese for the best flavor.
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped asparagus
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a saucepan, heat the vegetable broth over medium heat until it’s simmering.
- In a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat until the butter is melted.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the Arborio rice and stir to coat it in the butter mixture.
- Add 1/2 cup of the simmering broth to the rice mixture and stir until the broth is absorbed.
- Continue adding the broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and allowing each addition to be absorbed before adding the next.
- After about 15 minutes of cooking, add the peas, mushrooms, and asparagus to the skillet and continue cooking until the rice is tender and the vegetables are cooked to your liking.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and lemon juice until the cheese is melted and the risotto is creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with fresh chopped parsley before serving.
Spring Vegetable Risotto is a delicious and comforting dish that’s perfect for showcasing the fresh flavors of the season. The creamy, decadent texture of the arborio rice pairs perfectly with the tender asparagus, sweet peas, and earthy mushrooms, and the freshly grated Parmesan cheese adds a depth of flavor that ties everything together. Whether you’re serving this dish as a side or a main course, it’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser.